The One Love Manchester benefit gig could become an annual event to remember those killed in the Arena bombing.
The huge concert saw an array of stars including Take That, Katy Perry, Coldplay and Liam Gallagher, take to the stage at Emirates Old Trafford on Sunday to raise money for those affected by the terror attack two weeks ago, while more than 50,000 fans packed out the cricket ground to pay tribute to the 22 killed and the dozens injured in the blast on May 22.
More than £2.5m was raised during the concert for the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund, while the total amount raised stands at more than £10m.
The success of Sunday’s show has now had people calling for the benefit concert to be held every year, and singer Miley Cyrus, one of the performers at the show, has hinted that One Love Manchester could return following discussions with organiser Ariana Grande.
Commending Grande for returning to the city so soon after the tragedy took place and for organising tje benefit concert, Cyrus, whose dad is the musician and Billy Ray Cyrus, said the concert could be “an annual thing.”
Scores of people have taken to Twitter in support of the concerts’ return and a petition, calling for the show to be held annually, has so far been signed by more than 500 people.
One Love Manchester could easily become an annual event, and if the mayor had sense he'd make it a thing
— Five Foot Twelve (@JWilliamJames) June 5, 2017
— Anis (@anisurrahman198) June 6, 2017
The fact Miley cyrus wants to make One Love Manchester an annual event makes me happy😭
— Kalen (@Kalenhoughton) June 5, 2017
— CES (@we_are_CES) June 6, 2017
Manchester council’s city centre chief Pat Karney has also said the possibility of the event returning hasn’t yet been ruled out, saying:
“A number of people have been in touch with us to see if it could be an annual event. It will be part of the discussions with the families about a permanent memorial.”